North Fitzroy, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic (20657)
Year Built: 1869
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 10/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone of St Brigid's Church was laid in 1869, North Fitzroy however the parish did not become a separate entity until 1883. A Church constructed of bluestone with cement dressings, in the Decorated Gothic style. The original nave was designed by architect T.A. Kelly and built in 1870, with the two aisles added in 1881 and 1885. The Scalabrinian Order of Italian-speaking priests took charge of St Brigid's in 1968 and the convent was later converted into the Catholic Italian Renewal Centre.
There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.
The first organ was the original organ from St Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne.