North Motton, TAS - St John's Anglican

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Tommeginne people

Last Updated: 26/06/2023

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first Church services held at North Motton were conducted in a barn, on the property of Mr. Barrett, and later in the residence of a Mr. Cox, by the Rev. E. Champion.

Some time after, steps were taken to erect a Church building, and having secured a suitable piece of land, many of the pioneer settlers cleared it by means of working "bees." The first record made in the Church register reads thus: "St. John's Church, North Motion, was opened and consecrated, together with the cemetery, November 27th, 1889, by Bishop H.H. Tasmania" (Bishop Montgomery).

Mr. Frank Chisholm, who was amongst those who arrived very early in the district, conducted the Sunday School for many years, and is at present a churchwarden at St. John's. Mr. C. T. Chilcott was Rector's warden and treasurer for over 20 years.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1928 - Rev S. M. Mortyn Asst