Oatlands, TAS - St Paul's Catholic
Year Built: 1850
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Gay Street, Oatlands, Tasmania, 7120
Architect: Augustus Pugin
Last Updated: 04/12/2022
History and Architecture:
The Foundation stone was laid on 9th April 1850. The Church was designed in 1843 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin England's greatest Early Victorian architect and designer who was a close friend of the first Bishop of Hobart Town Robert William Wilson.
The Church was opened by Bishop Wilson on 26 February 1851.
Father James Ryan, extensively altered the old Pugin-designed presbytery. The work was completed by his successor Father Denis Murphy. Father James Barry and Father Richard Scafi, served 'pro tern' at Oatlands prior to Father Murphy's appointment. Father Murphy also renovated the church during the 1930's. He relocated the choir area and re-floored the building over Father Keohan's grave and send the road screen to Hobart for French polishing.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1823 - 1876||Father Martin Keohan||1876|
|1876 -||Father Julian Tennison Woods|
|1877 -||Father John Feehan||1912|
|1912 -||Father James Ryan|
|-||Father John Griffin|
|-||Father Robert Kennedy||1986|
|-||Father Joseph Halpin||1965|
|-||Father Liam Floyd||2020|
|-||Father Patrick McAnany||2014|
|1949 -||Father Lynch|
|2020 -||Father Anthony Onyirioha|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Priceless Heritage W.T. Southerwood