Olinda, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican (20926)
Year Built: 1935
Last Updated: 08/06/2021
History and Architecture:
In 1903 St Matthews Church of England was erected on this site by a small but determined congregation of Olinda Pioneers. Dedication of the church was celebrated by Archdeacon A.W. Handley on 9 July 1903. Early services were conducted by Lay Reader W.R. Newton. Reverend Newton after his ordination in 1904 continued to travel from Clergy House in Ferntree Gully the base from which Lay Readers and the clergy lived. Only in 1931 when the Parish could afford to build a Vicarage did Olinda have a resident Vicar.
The former Mernda Methodist church built in 1901 was the first church in the district. It was purchased by St Matthews in 1935.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1903 -||Mr W. R Newton||Lay Reader|
|1930 - 1936||Rev Alfred Charles Miles||1893||1983|
|1941 - 1949||Rev Leslie Wallace Bull||1899||1998|
|1928 - 1930||Rev Thomas Henry Watts||1890||1948|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.