Penguin, TAS St Stephen's Anglican (7095)
Address: Main Street, Penguin, Tasmania, 7316
Last Updated: 29/05/2021
History and Architecture:
In 1874 the original St. Stephen's church measuring twenty-five feet by fifteen feet, was opened. In that year Church News referred to St. Stephen's thus. 'Penguin Creek, old and very small and of Blackwood" In 1895 a new nave was built and the old church became the chancel and vestry having been sawn in half. The church has twice been reshingled in 1947 and 1974.
The first church was built in 1874 on land donated by Alexander Clerke. A Foundation stone on a entrance post reads, "To the Glory of God in memory of James Overall".
For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1910 - 1911||Rev Fred Taylor||1875||1955|
|1912 - 1917||Rev William Alfred Best||1868||1941|
|1917 - 1921||Rev William Rothwell Barrett|
|1922 - 1924||Rev Magnus James May||1881||1960|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Henry Brune Atkinson||1874||1960|
|1926 - 1928||Rev Harry Shepherd||Curate||1903||1969|
|1928 - 1930||Rev George William Blanchard|
|1930 - 1935||Rev Harold Edgar Doyle||1906||1974|
|1934 - 1944||Rev Francis Lionel Hadrill||1889||1957|
|1944 - 1951||Rev William Leslie Verrall||1913||1977|
|1951 - 1952||Rev Maxwell Lindsay Hughes||1975|
|1952 - 1959||Rev Charles Kingston Warren||1905||1971|
|2020 ? -||Rev Helen Gleeson|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
2. Cable Clergy Index