Poowong, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Lang Lang Road, Poowong, Victoria, 3988

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Bunurong people

Last Updated: 07/04/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. The first service was held in 1878 after the church was built in the same year. Gothic is style however the square windows did not enhance that style. These were replaced to enhance a more Gothic style when the weatherboards were replaced. In 1890 the transept was added and tenders for the enlargement of the Church have not yet been accepted. No accurate information is available as to cost of these alterations, but it was assumed probable cost was expected to be about £120. "At this time the old pulpit - cupboard -manufactured from the organ case was relegated to oblivion and a beautiful blackwood pulpit and Communion rail procured. The windows in the transept were the realising of a desire of the pioneer preacher that a faint measure of the beauty which graced the churches in which he worshipped in his boyhood, should be reproduced in the little church in Poowong.

The Choir gallery was added in 1905 at a cost of 9.6.6 while the fences around the church were added in 1950.

The current Church was opened in 1956.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1880 - 1882 Rev Daniel Gunson M
1882 - 1883 Rev R. W. Dean M
1883 - 1884 Rev J. Smith M
1884 - 1886 Rev W. H. Scurr M
1886 - 1887 Rev Francis Wood M
1887 - 1888 Rev Charles Angwin M
1888 - 1889 Rev Jolly M
1889 - 1891 Rev Charles Reed M
1891 - 1892 Rev C. Jones M
1892 - 1902 Rev George Godbehear M
1902 - 1903 Rev G. S. Lloyd M
1903 - 1904 Rev George Godbehear M 1953
1904 - 1905 Rev West M
1905 - 1906 Rev A. H. Mitchell M
1906 - 1907 Rev H. Polkinghorne M
1907 - 1909 Rev Bill T. McPherson M 1884 1914
1909 - 1911 Rev E. J. Stranger M
1911 - 1912 Rev C. Mapperson M
1912 - 1913 Rev A. E. Taylor M
1913 - 1915 Rev G. H. Burchett M
1915 - 1916 Rev J. T. Freeman M
1916 - 1919 Rev W. H. Watkins M
1919 - 1921 Rev G. Hawker M
1921 - 1923 Rev R. Jackson M
1923 - 1924 Rev L. H. Leverington M
1924 - 1928 Rev Joseph R. Orton Snr M 1795 1842
1928 - 1929 Rev W. E. Oliver M
1929 - 1930 Rev Thomas M
1930 - 1933 Rev G. Boyd M
1933 - 1936 Rev David S. Lindsay M 1842 1916
1936 - 1939 Rev A. Briggs M
1939 - 1940 Rev A. M. Perry M
1940 - 1943 Rev G. A. Hobson M
1943 - 1945 Rev J. A. Fullerton M
1945 - 1947 Rev C. J. King M
1947 - 1949 Rev L Roberts M
1949 - 1952 Rev A. H. Freeman M
1952 - 1956 Rev J. Dickinson M
1956 - 1957 Rev W. E. Barnes M
1957 - 1960 Rev A. Baker M
1960 - 1963 Rev L. H. Leverington M
1963 - 1968 Rev H. Gowty M
1968 - 1971 Rev N. E. Hallowes M
1971 - 1973 Rev C. B. Hogan M
1973 - 1974 Rev D. Pascall M
1974 - Rev Alex Palmer M
2010 - Rev Sue & Gavin Sharpe U

Organ:

The first organ was purchased from Allan and Co in 1900 at a cost of £32 and paid off over 2 years. The current organ was imported from America in 1911 by Mr E.W. Greenwood and re built in 1960.

Source:

1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. A Heritage of Worship A History of the Poowong Methodist Church C.B. Hartnell