Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (20280)
Year Built: 1881
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 07/01/2021
History and Architecture:
Opened in 1881. Refurbished in 1999. On 7 May 1882 the Carmelites celebrate their first Mass in St Joseph's Church, Port Melbourne, Fathers Butler and Shaffrey having accepted charge of the newly-formed parish of Sandridge.
Fr John Scanlon was prior and parish priest in Port Melbourne from 1909-1919, and after his term of office in Adelaide, returned to Port Melbourne in 1923 where he spent most of the remainder of his life. The former Priory in Beaconsfield Parade was acquired by the Brigidine Sisters as a Novitiate.
For more historical information go to the church web site.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1909 - 1919||Father John Scanlon||1940|
|1919 -||Father Ronayne|
|1919 -||Father Robert Power||1933|
|1921 - 1929||Father Peter O'Dwyer|
|1923 -||Father McCaffrey|
|1923 -||Father McDermott|
|2010 -||Father David Hoffman|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.