Queenstown, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic (8171)

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Joseph

Address: 2 Pontifex Street, Queenstown, Tasmania, 7467

Last Updated: 04/06/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

History and Architecture:

The original parish priest of Queenstown (Father Matthew O'Callaghan) began his ministry to a mining frontier when the parish was cut off from the Zeehan 'mission' in April, 1897.

It seems the Catholic's of Queenstown worshipped in a temporary building until the opening of the present St Joseph's church on February 11 1898. The contract price of the builder, Mt W.. Andrews of Strahan was £532. Father O'Regan later added a belfry and bell at a cost of £87 and a choir gallery which set the parish back a further £23.  

Land for the church had been bought on the "fourteen years credit system". It was paid off within ten years. By that time, the Catholic population of Queenstown had grown to 1,700, one-third of the town's people. 

Father O'Regan during his time in Queenstown built a five-room presbytery, and a nine room convent for six nuns.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1897 - 1899 Father Matthew O'Callaghan 1899
1888 - Father John Henry
1899 - Father Martin Gilleran 2 months 1919
1899 - 1914 Father O'Regan 1924
1915 - Father John Lee Missionary 1955
1915 - Father James P Gilbert Missionary 1956
1915 - Father M Ryan MIssionary
1918 - Father John Power
1920 - 1921 Father Patrick Fanning 1964
1921 - 1927 Father Don Shaw 1958

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Planting a Faith in Queenstown. WT Southerwood. LSC P 282.94642 SOU

Downloads:

9464