Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican (8120)

Year Built: 1896

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: James

Address: 1 Louisa Street, Ranelagh, Tasmania, 7109

Last Updated: 15/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

In 1853 a there was a bark church built for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854.

The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878, "Victoria church to be built at In 1853 a hear bark church for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878, "Victoria church to be built at £360, and in February 1880, "Victoria Huon St. James' wooden, church was consecrated in January". In 1896 (June edition) we read, "Huon St. James' foundation stone laid, previous building luckily insured". It had been burnt in bush fires that year.

In 1896 the present wooden church designed by George Fagg- costing £5OO was opened and consecrated in November.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1918 - 1923 Rev Arthur George Cutts 1871 1931
2019 - Rev John McQuillan Priest in Charge
2019 - Rev Elizabeth Wells Asst
2019 - Rev Meredith Campbell Asst

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. The Anglican Church in Tasmania, A Diocesan history to mark the Sesquicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens.