Reid, ACT - Korean Uniting (40017)
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Last Updated: 01/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church was opened by Rev John Wheen President General on 8 October 1927 and was the first Methodist church built in the Capital. The church, in red brick, was opened on 8/9 October, 1927, and four extensions have been added since, all in sympathetic style.
The Architect appointed from Sydney was Mr JCR Mills of Concord. The Builder was Mr RE Midson of Epping. The style of the building is of Gothic decroative and the plan was Cruciform. There was a removable cap on the tower to be removed when funds were availalbe to add the tower. Total cost was £5,150.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1926 - 1931||Rev E L Vercoe||M|
|1931 - 1932||Rev R C Barlow||M|
|1932 - 1935||Rev H W Woodhouse||M|
|1935 - 1939||Rev J Thomson||M|
|1936 - 1940||Rev R G Arthur||M|
|1940 - 1943||Rev D A Trathen||M|
|1946 - 1950||Rev S J Hazelwood||M|
|1950 - 1954||Rev J C Lavender||M|
|1954 - 1958||Rev R Howe||M|
|1958 - 1963||Rev H J.C. Cox||M|
|1963 - 1968||Rev G A Wright||M|
|1969 - 1974||Rev A T Quant||M|
|1975 -||Rev N D McDonald||M / U|
The church had an American Harmonium until it was replaced by the current J.W. Walker & Sons pipe organ,. The Organ was built in 1963.
1. The Red Bricks of Reid, Canberra's first urban church by R.T. Winch. SLT 287.19471 V 72 R
2. Methodist Church of Australia Programme of Official Opening