Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic (20160)

Year Built: 1960

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Gabriel

Address: Corner of Spring & Viola Streets, Reservoir, Victoria, 3073

Last Updated: 06/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The parish was founded in 1936. The first recorded Mass in Reservoir was celebrated about 1919 1920 in what was then the Church of England Hall. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Simonds on 24 January 1960. The church was built by Fred Dixon.

The original name for the parish decided by the late Father Ryan of Reservoir was St Michael's. Father Ryan wanted the Archangels to protect the northern suburbs as St Gabriel's and St Raphael's were already established. Father Sullivan decided to rename the parish St Stephen's after the Patron of Hungary since the beginning of the Parish took place around the time of the Hungarian Revolution.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1936 - 1964 Father P.M. Ryan
1965 - 1973 Father Edward Nowlan 1990
1969 - 1978 Father F Larsen
1973 - 1988 Father Phelan
1988 - 1997 Monsignor A Rebeschini

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

God is Strength the stroy of St Gabriels Parish SLTF 282.9451 G53S The Church website