Richmond, QLD - St Brigid's Catholic
Year Built: 1903
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Traditional Owners: Wanamara people
Last Updated: 26/10/2022
History and Architecture:
The history of the Richmond Parish as a parish begins in 1923. Until then, it was part of the Parish of Hughenden. In 1903 Father O'Keeffe built the Church under the patron-age of St. Brigid. Father Lane was here at that time for the benefit of his health, but it was Father O'Keeffe who not only built the Church, but also built the "Tin Castle."
The tim castle was a room erected by Father O'Keeffe at the back of the Church and served as his residence when at Richmond. Some idea of the discomfort of this abode may be gained by noting that one side was formed by the rear wall of the Church, the other three sides being made of galvan-ised iron. There was a door and two windows, one of glass, the other of iron, which was kept open with a stick. The floor receded a little from the level of the Church; through the crack thus formed, rumour has it, snakes used to make their entrance. Anyone knowing the heat of a western summer or the bite of a western winter will appreciate the living conditions in this tiny residence.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. A Souvenir The Diamond Jubilee 1885 - 1945 of the Catholic Parish Hughenden