Rokeby, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican
Address: King Street, Rokeby, Tasmania, 7019
Architect: James Blackburn
Traditional Owners: Mumirimina people
Last Updated: 03/12/2023
History and Architecture:
The building of a Church for the district of Clarence Plains was first contemplated in 1828 when Venerable T. H. Scott was Archdeacon of New South Wales. At this time Australia, including Van Diemen's Land, as Tasmania was known, formed a part of the diocese of Calcutta, Scott having been appointed the first Archdeacon in 1824. In February, 1828, at a meeting of parishioners, attended by the Archdeacon, the building of a church was resolved upon, and £100 was subscribed. Amongst the Knopwood papers there is a pledge, with names of subscribers attached, and it would appear that the date on it was altered from 1829 to 1838.
The Architect was James Blackburn.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1826 - 1838||Rev Robert Knopwood|
|1839 - 1843||Rev H P Fry|
|1840 - 1843||Rev Thomas Spurr|
|1843 - 1850||Rev R B. Grange|
|1850 - 1854||Rev W. W. Murray|
|1854 - 1881||Rev Abrahams|
|1857 - 1868||Mr J. V. McArdell||Lay Reader|
|1868 - 1871||Mr Thomas Westbrook||Lay Reader|
|1871 - 1876||Mr J. V. McArdell||Lay Reader|
|1881 - 1883||Rev Herbert Robert Finnis||1854||1936|
|1883 - 1890||Rev J. H Rowsell|
|1890 - 1898||Rev C Rhodes Hall|
|1895 - 1906||Mr Henry Lamb||Lay Reader|
|1898 - 1914||Rev F. B Sharland|
|1907 - 1918||Mr E. P Harrison||Lay Reader|
|1914 - 1916||Rev Leonard Stewart Wall||1873||1936|
|1916 - 1930||Rev Henry Charles Brammall||1871||1952|
|1919 - 1920||Dr A. E. Haywood||Lay Reader|
|1921 - 1922||Major General Wallack||Lay Reader|
|1923 - 1926||Mr A Pritchard||Lay Reader|
|1927 -||Mr Norman Lane||Lay Reader|
|1930 -||Rev Joseph James Cramp||Curate||1894||1970|
|1931 - 1936||Rev Vivian Herbert C Gill||1900||1965|
|1933 -||Mr B Gatehouse||Lay Reader|
|1934 - 1936||Mr C. H. Burcham||Lay Reader|
|1936 -||Rev A. E. Biggs|
|1937 - 1941||Mr W Ford||Lay Reader|
|1942 -||Mr J. E Calvert||Lay Reader|
In 1858 the historic Organ, was received from St David’s Cathedral. It is of unusual interest for it was the first organ brought to Tasmania. On the outside of the sound board is to be seen written in pencil the following inscription, "This Organ was built under the inspection of George Cooper Organist of St Sepulchre's London".
On the inside there is a second inscription that states that the Organ was first erected in St David's church Hobart Town by William Hance April 1825, the Reverend William Bedford Chaplain".
The Organ was built in 1824 by John Gray of London for St David's Church, Hobart. Installed at present location in 1857. Restored in 1968 by Arthur Jones. It has 1m., 7 sp.st. no pedals, tr. Man: 220.127.116.11-2/3.2.III divided.II.
1. History of St Matthews 1843 -1943 Story of Rokeby Church by Basil M Rait. LSC P 283.94663 RAI
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.