Romsey, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Mary

Address: Main Street, Romsey, Victoria, 3434

Architect: A.A. Fritsch

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people

Last Updated: 26/01/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first services in the Romsey district were conducted by Father Michael Brannigan in early 1860 in the house of Owen Doolan. A weatherboard church was built in 1868 and demolished in 1967. A new church in the Gothic style and built of brick with a tiled roof was erected in 1924. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 September 1924 by the most Reverend D. M. Mannix Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was A.A. Faisoh and the builder was Gull Brothers.*

The size of the nave was to be 26 feet x 56 feet, the sanctuary 12 feet x 15 feet and the sacristy 12 feet x 12 feet.*

The original name for the church was The Immaculate Conception but this was changed in the 1990's to St Mary's.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1924 - Father Bergin
2010 - Father W. Harnett
2019 - Father Martin Fleming


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


When Memories turn the Key, The History of the Shire of Romsey. Shire Book Committee.