Ross TAS - St John's Anglican (Former) (8080)

Year Built: 1869

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: 11 Church Street, Ross, Tasmania, 7209

Traditional Owners: Palawa people

Last Updated: 22/09/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

In 1832 both Ross and Campbell Town applied for government help to build a church, and the Rev. William Bedford Jr. was appointed to take charge, building himself a home, Howley Lodge at Campbell Town.

The first plans had been too ambitious and had to be scaled down, Charles Atkinson was allowed a carpenter and two sawyers by the government, but neither Matthew Forster (Controller of Convicts 11,1 Hobart nor the engineer, John Lee Archer, had any confidece in his abilities, especially in his handling of the convicts.

The church was erected on land now part of the burial ground on a hill to the east of the town, however by 1846 movement of the walls required them to be taken down to the foundations.

A description of the current church appeared in the 'Church News' of June, 1869, soon after the building was opened. Freestone from the original building, which was built on the same plan as St. Luke's, Campbell Town, was used in the new church. The north transept was intended for organ and choir. There is a south porch, Bell Tower and a spire rising to 60 feet. The nave measures 48 feet by 24, the chancel 16 by 14, the vestry 10 feet by 1 4 feet.

A Foundation stone reads, " The first church of St John was consecrated by William Grant Broughton Bishop of Australia on May 11th 1838. The present building was consecrated by Charles Bromby Bishop of Tasmania on May 14th 1869".

The Architect was Henry Hunter.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1833 - 1853 Rev Wm Bedford
1850 - 1854 Rev George Eastman Clergy to female house of correction 1818 1870
1854 - 1860 Rev William Brickwood - more details 1817 1901
1860 - Rev J Watson
1861 - 1862 Rev R O.T. Thorpe
1864 - 1866 Rev K W. Kirkland
1867 - Rev Marcus Blake Brownrigg
1868 - 1878 Rev John Fletcher 1817 1886
1879 - 1888 Rev Charles Vaughan From Campbell Town 1847 1918
1888 - 1903 Rev Thos McDowell From Campbell Town
1903 - Rev C Fawns Acting
1904 - Rev S Ingle Acting
1904 - 1907 Rev S D Smith
1907 - 1910 Rev W Chisholm
1910 - 1914 Rev W Howell
1914 - Rev Pollard Acting
1914 - 1916 Rev A Raymond
1917 - 1920 Rev A H McDonald 1920
1920 - 1922 Rev T Smith
1922 - 1924 Rev A. H Roake
1924 - 1937 Rev F. A. Carr
1938 - 1939 Rev Eric Norman Gidley
1941 - 1951 Rev Arthur Stanley Drewett 1883 1960
1946 - 1949 Rev Douglas Montague Gasking 1883 1952
1954 - 1959 Rev Cosmo George Forrest Sale 1893
1960 - 1961 Rev E. A. Wood
1962 - 1963 Rev Lawrence Edward Dando Acting 1901 1970
1963 - 1964 Deacon E George
1964 - Rev N Sonners

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. A History of the Parish of Ross. 1833 - 1969
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000.