Sarina, QLD - St Luke's Anglican
Year Built: 1961
Address: 56 Broad Street, Sarina, Queensland, 4737
Traditional Owners: Wiri, Barada Barna Kabalbara and Yetimarla people
Last Updated: 17/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The laying of the Foundation stone occurred in 1909 and the present St. Luke's Church, possibly round about shortly afterwards the dedication of the Church too place, both ceremonies being conducted by Revd Hely Wilson. Occasionally a priest came out from Mackay to celebrate Holy Communion.
In 1924 the then church building was enlarged by the addition of the Sanctuary and Vestry. The whole building was then lined and sealed.
The Church hall was moved closer to the police station allowing for a much larger area of land available for building of the new church. On July 30, 1961, the foundation stone was blessed and set by Father Ian the Sixth Bishop of North Queensland – Rev. A.S. Dumbrell. The foundation stone was inscribed “In memory of men and women who gave their lives in two World Wars.”
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1911 - 1913||Rev R. A. Burnett|
|1913 - 1915||Rev Reginald James Gorrie||Curate|
|1914 - 1915||Rev D. H. Teal Gosper|
|1915 - 1919||Rev A. H. Lambton|
|1924 - 1926||Rev Arthur Taylor Knox||1891||1959|
|1927 - 1930||Rev A. D. Thorpe|
|1930 - 1937||Rev Ernest Warnock Mead||1883||1944|
|1938 - 1943||Rev Guy Henry Darke||1904||1979|
|1943 - 1946||Rev Alan Henry Barwon Innes||1912||1976|
|1947 - 1951||Rev James Edward Wheatley||1903||1964|
|1952 - 1953||Rev John Gladville Titus Rees||1910||1961|
|1953 - 1956||Rev R. L. Gwyther|
|1957 -||Rev A. S. Drumbell|
|1958 -||Rev A. S. Dumbrell|
|1974 -||Rev Desmond Stuart Fox||1911||1995|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. NQ 1878 - 1958 80 Years of Anglican Progress. L.C. 283.943 FRA
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Courier Mail Newspaper September 10, 2020 - 5:00AM