Shepparton, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican (20355)
Year Built: 1926
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 10/11/2021
History and Architecture:
The first Anglican service in Shepparton was conducted by Archdeacon Tucker in 1875 in Mr. A. F. Rowe's dining room at his premises situated near the banks of the Goulburn adjacent to the old Port of Shepparton. Canon W. L C. Howard of Beechworth had the oversight of the Shepparton Districts until 1879. In the previous year, Mr J.D. Dawborn was made Reader at Shepparton and ordained deacon in 1880 for the Parochial District of Shepparton. He became the first resident priest the following year and opened the first Saint Augustine's Church in 1882.
The first church of Saint Augustine was a substantial brick building situated on a site in Maude Street, much further south than the present Saint Augustine's. A plaque today commemorates the site outside Muntz Chemist Shop in Maude Street near the corner of Fraser Street.
One and a half acres of land were purchased in June, 1922 at the corner of McKinney and Maude Streets for the sum of £2,500. This was to be the site of the new church.
The foundation stone of the new Saint Augustine's was laid on the 6th October, 1926. The new church, designed by Mr. Louis Williams and built by Messrs. A. E. Orme and W. Montgomery, was dedicated at a ceremony conducted by Archdeacon Carter, Rector of Shepparton. Bishop Thomas Armstrong preached and blessed the new building on the 4th April, 1927.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1953 - 1956||Rev Ernest Roy Walkerden||1926|
|1959 -||Rev Colin Joseph Coish|
|1964 - 1965||Rev L. H. Allott|
|1964 - 1965||Rev James Alenson Greenshields||Asst C||1933|
|1965 - 1966||Rev William Joseph Squire||Asst P|
|1972 - 1977||Rev Arthur Stanley Goldsworthy||Adn/R||1926|
|1972 - 1977||Rev William Joseph Squire||Asst P|
|1975 - 1976||Rev David Maxwell Hollaway||1945|
|1975 - 1976||Rev R Kelly||Asst|
|1977 - 1991||Rev Donald William Gibson||1930|
|1977 - 1978||Rev Peter Julian William White|
|1978 - 1979||Rev Christopher Cariston Seton|
|1978 - 1980||Rev M J.D. Bowers||Asst|
|1985 -||Rev Bruce Raymond Hancock||Asst C||1944|
|1989 - 1991||Rev R. J. Munson||Asst|
|1992 -||Rev Gail Desma Bryce||Asst||1945|
|1992 - 1994||Rev Sandra Salmon||Asst C|
|1993 - 1997||Rev D. D. McMillan|
|1996 - 1997||Rev Simon Peter Coward||Asst||1964|
|1997 - 1998||REv John William Gumbley||Asst|
|1999 -||Rev Peter H Kissick||Asst|
|2010 -||Canon Andrew Neaum|
|2019 ? -||Rev Jerome Francis|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clergy Index.
2. Parish Churches Diocese of Wangaratta