South Brisbane, QLD - St Clement Melkite Catholic
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 74 Ernest Street, South Brisbane, Queensland, 4101
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 07/09/2022
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1929, however due to a scarcity of donations with the onset of the Depression, construction was halted and it was not until 1936 that, through the determination of the Lebanese community, the church was finally opened. Designed in the Interwar Romanesque architectural style,
A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of St Clement's (The first Lebanese Church in Queensland) was blessed and laid by The Right Rev Clement Malouf Bishop of Caesarea - Phillipi (Galilee) on his first visit to Australia 17th March 1929. PIUS X1 PM James Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane ".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1929 -||Father Khoury|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Heritage Brisbane. Click here fo full history. Brisbane City Council Heritage Unit, 'Historical Context Report', 1993 South Brisbane Area Heritage Study, Part A: Project Report