South Hobart, TAS - St Peter's Lutheran (7032)
Year Built: 1870
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Last Updated: 25/09/2021
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. St. Peter's Lutheran Church (SPLC) is now located in Warrane, Tasmania.
The church stands on the site of an 1838 Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, one of about eight Methodist Sunday Schools in Hobart alone. Construction was by John Anderson. The Superintendent of Works was former convict Edward Rowntree, who was a well-educated man, a skilled designer and careful builder.
The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1870 with great ceremony by Henry Hopkins, who had done much to establish Protestant churches in the colony. The church was sold to the Lutherans in 1973, and they renamed it St Peter's Lutheran Church. They sold it in 2012, and now it is used by Hillsong Church.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1928 - 1926||Rev Keith A Bennett||M|
|1936 - 1939||Rev Frederick J Angus||M|
|1946 - 1949||Rev George T Goldsmith||M|
|1958 - 1960||Rev Donald E Peters||M|
|1960 -||Rev Alan W. Collins||M|
Th Organ dated from 1878 and was buit by George Finchan of Melbourne.
1. Churches of Colonial Hobart, a field guide to Hobart's history in 24 buildings.
2. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index