South Townsville, QLD - St John's Anglican
Year Built: 1907
Architect: Charles Dalton Lynch
Traditional Owners: Bindal, Wulgurukaba people
Last Updated: 23/08/2022
History and Architecture:
A historical marker at the front of the Church reads, "The first church in South Townsville was built on this site around 1886. However, it was destroyed by cyclone Sigma in 1896. It was rebuilt, but again demolished by cyclone Leonta in 1903". Church services were held in Mindham's Hall.
The present St John's Church, built in 1907, was the most innovative church in North Queensland at the time. It is distinctly North Queensland in style with verandahs shading the core, lightweight construction and sliding doors to open up the walls and provide better ventilation (a device that had never previously been used on church buildings in the north). The church was designed by Charles Dalton Lynch, the Townsville partner of the architectural firm of Tunbridge, Tunbridge and Lynch. It is a good example of architect Lynch's design response to the tropical climate.
Prior to the establishment of the adjacent Rectory in 1910, Cathedral staff travelled from the other side of Ross Creek to conduct services. The Church played an important social role in the community.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1889 - 1896||Rev L.. Ketchlee|
|1896 - 1898||Rev A. E. Attkins|
|1898 - 1901||Rev J. H. Teale||Curate|
|1901 - 1903||Rev C. Tomkin|
|1903 - 1907||Rev S. O. Goodchild||1874||1952|
|1907 - 1911||Rev F. Tubman|
|1911 - 1913||Rev B. Carrie|
|1915 - 1918||Rev John Edwin Dale||1884||1965|
|1923 - 1924||Rev William Vernon Rymer||1892||1985|
|1924 - 1928||Rev James Tweedie||1871||1940|
|1928 - 1955||Rev John Ivan Spenser Butterworth||1892||1968|
|1955 -||Rev R. G. Beal|
|1958 -||Rev R. G. Beale||Asst|
|1959 -||Rev Cedric Cuthbert Hurt||1898||1980|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clerical Index.
2. NQ 1878 - 1958 80 Years of Anglican Progress. L.C. 283.943 FRA.