South Yarra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (21070)
Year Built: 1888
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 03/01/2022
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone of St Joseph’s Church was laid on 18 March 1888 and the building opened on 28 October 1888. Designed by architects Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, this is a large cruciform brick building in the Gothic style with stucco dressings, tower and spire. Further additions were completed in August 1892.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1887 - 1891||Father John Francis Fitzgerald||1841||1893|
|1891 - 1925||Father Robert Stanislaus Benson||1941|
|1925 - 1926||Father John Collins||1867||1926|
|1927 - 1948||Father Thomas English||1948|
|1948 - 1975||Monsignor James Hannan||1975|
|2020 ? -||Father Brian Buckley|
The pipe organ, built by William Anderson, was opened in July 1894 when The Advocate of 14 July reported that on Sunday last the organ that was recently erected in the church was opened. It is likely that the metal pipework for the instrument was supplied to William Anderson by Fincham & Hobday.
1. The Parish of South Yarra 125 Years Historical Notes.
2. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-2022.