Stanley, TAS - Circular Head Anglican (8020)
Year Built: 1887
Last Updated: 21/03/2021
History and Architecture:
The original St Paul's Anglican of 1842 was designed by colonial architect John Lee Archer and consecrated by Bishop Nixon in 1858, the first Bishop of Tasmania. Later the stone church had to be demolished due to cracks appearing in the walls, salt water was likely used in the mortar. In 1887 it was replaced by the present timber structure.
The interior is made of Baltic pine with Tasmanian blackwood fittings. A striking stained glass window over the altar depicts The Last Supper.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1915 - 1918||Rev H H Anderson|
|1918 - 1920||Rev F H Surridge|
|1920 - 1925||Rev S L Armson|
|1925 -||Rev McDonald|
|1925 - 1933||Rev Moore Campbell|
|1934 -||Rev A Matherson||Curate|
|1934 - 1938||Rev J J Cramp|
|1938 - 1942||Rev G J Baxter|
|1943 - 1944||Rev L E Dando||Acting|
|1944 - 1946||Rev L L Oldham|
|1946 - 1950||Rev O L Davis|
|1950 - 1953||Rev E J Dorrell|
|1954 - 1957||Rev C H Rose|
|1957 - 1962||Rev H Pickup|
|1962 - 1965||Rev L S Luck|
|1966 - 1970||Rev T G Cowell|
|1971 - 1973||Rev M R Little|
|1973 - 1976||Rev N D Newett|
|1976 - 1979||Rev T E Henricks|
|1979 - 1983||Rev A V Hatters||Acting|
|1982 - 1983||Rev R J Cartledge|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Church Notice Board for list of clergy.