Stawell, VIC - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1874

Denomination: Lutheran

Saint: Peter

Address: 32 Scallon Street, Stawell, Victoria, 3380

Previous Denomination: Congregational

Architect: Rev J.G. Wilson

Traditional Owners: Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali & Wergaia people

Last Updated: 24/04/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

This Church was built as the Congregational Church in 1874 to the design of the Reverend J.G. Wilson. Two groups of Congregational Church were in Stawell in the 1860's the English and the Welsh Independents. They came together a few years after, and on 13 September 1874 this substantial Church was opened.

It accommodated 250 people and cost 800.00. It was the first church in Stawell to have gas lighting.

The Church is a painted brick building incorporating fittings from two redundant Lutheran churches in the area, including a carved altar and pulpit from Murtoa, possibly that designed and made by Robert Prenzel, and a 17th century lectern obtained in England.

The newly formed Lutheran congregation of Stawell in August 1957 purchased the building. After extensive renovations the building was dedicated on 28 September 1958 as St Peter's Lutheran.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1938 - 1939 Pastor Christian Jakob Siegle UELCA 1864 1950
1940 - 1946 Pastor Johannes Mogens Larsen UELCA 1903 1967
1945 - 1954 Pastor Otto Edwin Thiele ELSA 1901 1971
1947 - 1950 Pastor Victor Georg Roennfeldt UELCA 1921 1984
1950 - 1954 Pastor Arnold Herbert Schmidt UELCA 1925 1992
1954 - 1955 Pastor Erich Otmar Riedel UELCA 1929 2018
1954 - 1957 Pastor Norman Edward Jaensch ELSA 1919 1996
1956 - 1961 Pastor Otto Heinrich Adler UELCA 1899 1967
1958 - 1963 Pastor Gordon Wilfred Mibus ELSA 1930 2019
1964 - 1966 Pastor Morris Vernon Jordan ELSA 1930 2022
1967 - 1973 Pastor Cyril Alfred Bartel LCA 1923 2015
1973 - 1978 Pastor Joseph Hermann Gerhard Kirchner LCA 1944 1999
1978 - 1984 Pastor Geoffrey David Noller LCA 1929 2020
1985 - 1999 Pastor Ronald Edwin Wilksch LCA 1938 2019
2000 - 2004 Pastor Darryl J. Mattner LCA
2004 - 2008 Pastor Neil McBride Guthrig LCA
2009 - Pastor Chris S. Raatz LCA

Organ:

The Organ was Built in 1858 by Hill & Son of London for residence of Peter Davis, Prahran. It was installed in 1860 St Andrew's Church, Brighton. Installed in 1923 Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Stratford. I was then renovated and installed present location in 1968-69 by John Kriewaldt. Restored 2021 Australian Pipe Organs Pty Ltd. It has 2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, 2 couplers, mechanical action.
A full description and photos can be seen here.

Source:

1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. Lutheran Archives with permission.