Sydney, NSW - Lutheran (10051)
Year Built: 1881
Last Updated: 19/02/2021
History and Architecture:
The foundation-stone of the first German Evangelical Lutheran church to be erected in Sydney, was laid in North Goulburn Street on Saturday last by Mrs. R Krauel, wife of the German Consul-General. Built in 1881.
The design on the building was in accordance with designs prepared by Mr. T. Dixon Chater.
It cost about £2,000 and was planned to accommodate 220 people. In length it will be 45 feet, in breadth 25; and contained a chancel 13 feet by 9, and a small vestry. The walls are of brick and cemented.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2010 -||Rev Dirk Wnendt||LCA|
The first organ is unknown. The second organ was built by the Sydney organbuilder, Charles Richardson, and was completed in 1894. This organ was removed in 1979, rebuilt and installed in St John's Anglican Church, Young, by Brown & Arkley.
A new organ was ordered from Karl Schuke, Berlin and was opened in 1980.