Sydney, NSW - St Philip's Anglican
Year Built: 1848
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Gadigal people
Last Updated: 22/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The original church was located in Lang Park across the road from the present church. No information available. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 1 May 1848, by the Rector, Reverend William Cowper.
In the Gothic Perpendicular style architectural style the church was designed by Edmund Blacket and cost £16,000. It is thought that Blacket made the main body of the church's stained glass windows. Whilst the East Window was imported from England and cost £200.
The tower has ten bells with the original peal of eight being donated by the Hon. John Campbell in 1872. A ninth bell was added in 1888 to commemorate the centenary of the founding of the Colony of NSW while the tenth was installed in 1898 in remembrance of Charles Moore.
By 1890 renovations were required including the installation of modern pews and the chancel and aisles were tiled. The current pulpit and reading desk were installed along with a Gothic reredos (which replaced the original commandment boards which are now to be found in the west porch).
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1809 -||William Cowper|
|2009 -||Rev Justin Moffatt|
The organ, the second in this church, was built in 1873 and played for the first time on 26 February 1874. It was fully restored in 1987 by Pitchford & Garside Pty Ltd. The St Philip's organ (the second pipe organ in the present building) was made in London by one of the most illustrious of English organ builders, J.W. Walker & Sons. For a full description and photos click here.
1. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.