Tanunda, SA - St Paul's Lutheran
Year Built: 1903
Traditional Owners: Peramangk people
Last Updated: 24/01/2023
History and Architecture:
The origins of the St Paul's goes back to 1903 when the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia first conducted preaching services in Tanunda. These services were held in the home of Mr J. A. Pfeiffer.
St. Paul's was formed on 16th February 1904 with six families living at Tanunda (Messrs. J. G. Heinrich, F. W. Wilhelm, W. Schulz, J. A. Pfeiffer, D. G. Noach, and C. G. Wilksch and their wives) being the foundation members. Their church building, which was a small wood and iron structure situated beside a house on land purchased from Pastor A. F. Rechner by Mr Pfeiffer in 1903, was dedicated on 29th May 1904 by Pastor H. Nickel.
The property owned by Mr J. A. Pfeiffer was purchased from him by the St. Paul's congregation in 1923 for 1000.
In 1926 the St. Paul's congregation decided to build a new church. The building which had been their place of worship for the past 22 years was moved to the back of the allotment, where it is still being used for Sunday School classes. The new church, which was able to accommodate more than 200 people, was dedicated on 23rd September 1928. The total cost of this building with furnishings was about 4200.
The Foundation stone was laid on 12 February 1928.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1916 - 1933||Pastor C. A. Wiebusch||ELSA|
|1933 - 1942||Pastor L. A. Presser||ELSA|
|1942 - 1947||Pastor A. E. Schulze||ELSA|
|1947 - 1957||Pastor P. B. Zweck||ELSA|
|1958 - 1963||Pastor D. O. Paech||ELSA|
|1963 - 1971||Pastor Gordon Wilfred Mibus||LCA||1930||2019|
|1971 - 1975||Pastor E. W. Koch||LCA|
|1975 - 1988||Pastor E. T. Koch||LCA|
|1988 - 1996||Pastor N. T. Stiller||LCA|
|1998 - 2003||Pastor S. M. Traeger||LCA|
|2011 -||Pastor Anthony Price||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Lutheran Archives SA.