Toorak, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1875
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: Reed and Barnes
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 15/08/2023
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was established in 1875 with the Rev. Murdoch MacDonald as Minister.
Designed as a simple cruciform, apsidal plan church with tower, by the architects, Reed and Barnes, it was erected in 1875-76. The principal materials being Barrabool sandstone with Oamuru (New Zealand) limestone pressings. The Gothic Revival style church was enlarged in 1889 to a double transept plan, the architect being J F Smart of the same firm.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1875 - 1883||Rev Murdoch Macdonald|
|1884 - 1884||Rev Martin Lewis B.A.|
|1885 - 1890||Rev J. F. Ewing M.A.|
|1891 - 1914||Rev J. F. McCrae|
|1914 - 1914||Rev J. Mckenzie M.A.|
|2020 -||Rev Christopher Page|
The first organ was by the Kew organ builder Alfred Fuller and was built for the 1880 Melbourne Exhibition and was centrally placed in the apse. For further history on the Organ click here.
1. Toorak Presbyterian Church 1875 - 1925 LTP 285.29451 T61P