Towrang, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1928

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: 492 Towrang Road, Towrang, New South Wales, 2580

Architect: Unknown

Last Updated: 29/04/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

Prior to building of the first church services were held in a room ajoining the store. In 1905 Mr Edward Johnson gave an acre of gorund for the site of a Church. The Committee then purchased an additional half acre and a wooden church was built. The building by 1928 was in a dangerous condition so the old church was demolished and a new church built.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1864 - 1871 Rev Cannon Richard Leigh 1829 1915
1872 - Rev Hubert Hunter Phelps M.A.
1872 - 1874 Rev W. Locke B.A.
1875 - 1880 Rev W. May M.A.
1880 - 1894 Rev Canon G. M. D'Arcy
1894 - 1897 Rev Canon George Spencer
1898 - 1908 Rev Canon Charles Kingsmill
1908 - 1912 Rev Archdeacon George Spencer
1912 - 1925 Rev Canon William Philip Howell 1855 1930
1925 - 1934 Rev C. M. Statham
1934 - 1936 Rev Canon J. J.E. Done
1936 - Rev F. W. Rettie

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Contributions:

1. 2024 Simon Saunders church photo

Source:

1. The History of the Diocese of Goulburn by Ramsome T Wyatt Church House Goulburn NSW.
2. Cable Clerical Index