Ulverstone, TAS - Baptist
Year Built: 1959
Address: 60 Alexander Road, Ulverstone, Tasmania, 7315
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 06/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The Ulverstone mission was placed under the care of the Burnie Baptist Church. Church services began in Ulverstone at the Town Hall on 15 February 1903. The Rev. George J. Mackay of the Devonport Baptist Church, assisted by Amos Sidwell of Hobart, conducted the first service.
In January 1906 the Ulverstone Baptist Church agreed to open a building fund account. In 1906 authority was given to investigate land for the purpose of building a church in Ulverstone. By July 1907 a block was bought for the sum of 155 pounds in King Edward Street. There must have been a difference of opinion over the purchase because the church news of August 1907 reported, "Several members and sympathisers have left our town." The church had been experiencing large congregations prior to this. The land debt was cleared by April 1908 however it was never used and the land was sold in 1914.
In May 1911 the purchase of the Ulverstone Congregational Church was finalised. The purchase provided a new impetus to Ulverstone Baptists.
A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God this stone was laid by Rev R. A. Clifford President of the Baptist Union of Tasmania 20th September 1958.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1902 -||Rev Samuel Harrison||Locum|
|1903 -||Rev George Mackay||Locum|
|1909 -||Rev C H.J. Warren||served for only a few months|
|1909 - 1911||Rev William M Heaven||Home Mission|
|1912 - 1914||Rev Albert Butler||1947|
|1914 - 1917||Rev Vincent George Britton|
|1917 - 1917||Rev J W. Fisher||9 months|
|1917 -||Rev Robinson|
|1923 - 1929||Rev James Clemens Salter||1960|
|1929 - 1931||Rev Ron H McHugh|
|1931 - 1935||Rev Robert Steel||Home Mission|
|1935 - 1936||Rev Richard W Dobbinson|
|1936 - 1939||Rev Joseph G Langton|
|1939 - 1939||Rev E McIntosh Brown|
|1940 -||Rev Tom R Dine|
|1941 - 1946||Rev Albert F Roberts|
|1946 -||Rev Albert Edward Holloway|
|1952 - 1955||Rev Kenneth E Tuck|
|1956 - 1960||Rev Rex A Clifford|
|1965 - 1969||Rev David Aldridge|
|1969 -||Rev Ron J McLean|
|1969 -||Rev Garry R Billing|
|1975 -||Rev C Eddie Smith|
|1978 - 1979||Rev Ralph Willicome|
|1981 -||Rev Albert Holowell|
|1992 - 1994||Rev James Winkley|
|1994 - 1998||Re David Sterrey|
|2003 -||Rev Ross Prout|
|2005 -||Rev Dr Graeme Smith|
|2013 - 2017||Rev Stephen Hendrick|
|2018 -||Rev Louis Fife|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
2. Possessing the Future A History of the Ulverstone Baptist Church 1905 - 2005 Laurence F. Rowston LSC P 286.193634 ROW