Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic
Year Built: 1961
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 04/12/2022
History and Architecture:
The first church was opened on October 17 1885 when the area was constitued as part of Latrobe parish.
In 1961, seventy-five years after the opening of Ulverstone’s first Catholic church a modern church was built on a site opposite the old building. A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected by the Catholic people of Ulverstone in honour of the sacred heart of Jesus was solomly blessed and opened by his grace the Archbishop of Hobart the Most Reverend C Younf D.D. on 22nd October 1961".
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1907 -||Father Martin Dowling||1880||1951|
|1951 - 1958||Father George Cullen|
|1971 -||Dean Joseph Howe||2007|
|1981 - 1998||Father Jim McMahon||Locum|
|1986 - 1998||Dean Joe Howe|
|1998 - 2003||Father Mark Freeman|
|2003 -||Father Mark||Moderator|
|2020 -||Father Mike Delaney|
|2020 -||Father Steve Smith||Asst|
1. Church website.
2. Priceless Heritage W.T. Southerwood
3. For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.