Unley, SA - Baptist
Year Built: 1903
Address: Northgate Street, Unley, South Australia, 5061
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 02/01/2021
History and Architecture:
In July 1903, C.H. Goode, (later Sir Charles), laid the foundation stone for the first Baptist church in the area and three months later J.T. Miller formally opened it.
By March 1914, the congregation had outgrown the facility and it was proposed to construct a new church, the architects being Messrs William and Good. Without exceeding a 1000 liability it was to be an octagonal building accommodating up to 450 people and designed such that a gallery could be added if needed. In October 1917 a contract was signed with T. Lewis & Son.
The Foundation stone was laid on 8 December 1917 by Lady Goode.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1903 -||Rev Samuel Fairley|
|1903 - 1908||Rev Estcourt Hughes|
|1909 - 1913||Rev J. G. Raws|
|1913 - 1921||Rev Donald McNicol|
|1922 - 1927||Rev H. A. Horsfall|
|1928 - 1935||Rev Donald McNicol|
|1936 - 1947||Rev E. H. Watson|
|1948 -||Rev A. L. Wilkins|
|2019 -||Rev Jason Hoet|
Built in 1952 by J.E. Dodd & Sons.
Unley Park Baptist Church Jubilee 1903 - 1953. 286.194231 USB 19537