Unley, SA - Church of Christ (Former)
Denomination: Church of Christ
Architect: H.C. Richardson
Last Updated: 17/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The dimensions of the Church was similar to the local Unley Town Hall of the time.
Mrs. William Burford laid the foundation stone on 1st April 1884, and work quickly proceeded. The cost also quickly rose. The contractor did not complete his work and the job was finished by "day labour". The tender had been for £1,370, a substantial amount for those days, but the final cost was around £2,200 pounds, including furnishings.
The Architect was H C Richardson.
Built of Glen Osmond bluestone the size of the chapel was to be 50 feet long and 40 feet wide and the walls of sufficient height to allow for a gallery when needed. That three vestries be built in the rear, that exit be made at both sides of the building. That a porch be built on the front end of the same, that the platform containing the baptistry be about two feet high, and the floor about the same slope as the Grote Street chapel. That the seats be made of the best red deal and varnished with the best coachmakers' varnish and the backs of the seats be reversible, and fastened to the floor.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1883 - 1890||Rev J. Colbourne|
|1890 - 1893||Rev J. C. Dickson|
|1895 - 1897||Rev M. W. Green|
|1898 - 1912||Rev T. J. Gore|
|1912 - 1913||Rev G. T. Walden|
|1914 - 1919||Rev B. W. Huntsman|
|1920 - 1923||Rev R. Harkness|
|1923 - 1927||Rev J. E. Webb|
|1963 -||Rev J. E. Webb|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Park Street 1882 - 1982 Compiled by Keith Bowens