Unley, SA - St Augustines Anglican
Year Built: 1922
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 15/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The Foundation stone was laid by the Govenor General George Murray in 1922. The Church is an example of Gothic Revival Church architecture. Of special note is the fine collection of stained glass windows executed by the important firms of Morris and Company and their successor Dearle. The altar window is one of the major Morris and Company designs and original cartoons were designed by Burne-Jones and Ford Madox Brown, though the majority were by J H Dearle.
The Church was one of only two churches built in the Adelaide suburbs during the Episcopal reign of the first Church of England Bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short. Thomas English called for tenders for its erection in December 1868. Its bell turret rose to 54ft (16.5 m) while dimensions of the nave were given as 44ft x 20ft (13.4 m x 6.1 m). Glen Osmond stone was used for the fabric, which David Deans of Mitcham had built for about 800. A further front was added in 1873.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1868 - 1897||Rev W. H. Mudie||1903|
|1896 - 1905||Rev A. G. West||Asst C|
|1905 - 1908||Rev W. Perrin|
|1908 - 1917||Rev George Edward Young||1852||1937|
|1911 - 1914||Rev A. A. Winser|
|1914 - 1915||Deacon Roland Vere Adams||1886||1959|
|1916 - 1919||Rev Eric Thomas Wyllie||1888||1972|
|1926 - 1927||Rev C. Scott|
|1926 - 1928||Rev Thomas Thorton Reed||1902||1995|
|1925 - 1927||Rev G. C. Tyrell|
|1927 - 1929||Rev H. C. Shepherd|
|1928 - 1931||Rev Eric Alfred Burden||Curate||1903||1944|
|1929 - 1932||Rev H. H. Overall|
|1932 - 1934||Rev W. T. Taylor|
|1933 - 1937||Rev Alfred John Robjohns||1910||1995|
|1934 - 1959||Rev Edwards|
|1944 - 1945||Rev L. P. Smith|
|1946 - 1947||Rev R. F. Steele|
|1948 - 1949||Rev W. L. Wardman|
|1959 - 1966||Rev Reginald Keith Adams||1901||1976|
|1971 - 1973||Rev Kenneth Dixon||Asst||1922|
|1968 - 1970||Rev Kenneth David Hall||Asst C||1922|
|1980 - 1982||Rev B. H. Davis||Asst|
|1985 - 1992||Rev Donald Bruce Cornelius||1933|
|1993 - 2000||Rev M. J.D. Bowers|
The first organ now resides at St Aidan's Anglican Church, Payneham. Present organ was built in 1877 by Bishop & Son of London, for St Peter's Anglican Cathedral Adelaide.