Victor Harbor, SA - St Augustine's Anglican (30279)

Year Built: 1870

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Augustine

Address: Burke Street, Victor Harbor, South Australia, 5211

Last Updated: 14/07/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

At a meeting held on 19 August 1869 at the Port Victor Hotel, plans were made to establish a church to serve the needs of the Church of England community in Victor Harbor on land donated by Mr A F Lindsay.

The plans were drawn up by Thomas Jones of Goolwa and the contractors were James Bowley and G. Weymouth. Costing no more than £150, the church was dedicated to St Augustine of Hippo (354-430AD) on 8 March 1870.

In 1884 transepts large enough to accommodate an extra 100 people were designed by Adelaide architects Grainger, Naish and Worsley. With local contractor Andrew Oliver undertaking the works, the new additions cost approximately £400 and the church was re-opened for the Christmas period.

In 1922 the nave and tower were built by F Fricker for £1,250. A foundation stone to these additions was laid in August 1922 and the opening of the new additions was on 21 February 1923. The porch was added in 1962 and in 1970 a walkway between the church and parish hall was added.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1973 - 1980 Rev Ian Bruce Mussared 1945 2015
1980 - 1985 Rev Douglas Robert Stewart
1987 - 1993 Rev Allan Wilfred Collett 1937
1991 - 1992 Rev Dean Ellis Barker Asst
1993 - 1994 Rev Neil Edwin Vearing Asst C 1949
1994 - 1998 Rev P. J. Anderson 1940
1994 - 1995 Rev Dean Ellis Barker Asst 1943 2010
1999 - Rev M. B. Boughey 1959 2012
2011 - Rev Alex Bainton
2020 - Father Paul Monash

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000.
2. Victor Harbour Times.
3. SA Heritage.