Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian
Year Built: 1890
Last Updated: 13/04/2023
History and Architecture:
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was constructed in about 1890 and is designed in Victorian Academic Gothic style and is built of brick and sandstone. The Original Foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1869 by Sir Alfred Steven Chief Justice of New South Wales.
The steep, gabled roof is clad with slate. St Andrew's has a landmark tower with an octagonal spire and smaller spires on the corners of the top of the tower; a castellated parapet runs between these spires, and lower down the tower columns are set into the tower's corners. Windows are of the pointed arch type and have label moulds. The end walls of the nave are of parapetted gable form, and in at least one of these there is a triple window with stained glass. The entrance in the base of the tower is of pointed arch form and there are columns set into the sides of the arch. In keeping with the Gothic style, the church has buttresses.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2011 -||Rev Andrew Campbell|
|2015 -||Rev Matthew Purnell|
The first organ was built in 1908 by George Smith. It had 1m., 6 sp. st., tub. pn. The present organ was bult in 1961 by George Fincham & Sons incorporating some pipework from previous organ. 2m., 4 rks. + mixture ext., el. pn.
A full description can be seen here.
1. Photos by Allison Bowman 2021
1. Australian Heritage Database