Walla Walla, NSW - Zion Lutheran
Year Built: 1872
Last Updated: 17/11/2020
History and Architecture:
The original Lutheran church was built from white granite in 1872. The present Zion Lutheran Church was built in 1924 and it is the largest Lutheran Church in New South Wales, with seating for almost 600 people. The church is characterised by its stained glass windows and its massive pipe organ.
A second church, built of sandstone mined a few kilometres to the east of Walla Walla, was dedicated in 1889. (This building, minus its steeple, still stands and is to the north of the present church building). Twenty years later, this second church became too small for the growing congregation and the present (third) church building was planned. It was dedicated in 1924 and has been used for worship services since that time.
The third church building was designed by Mr R. Rahnenfuhrer of Germany. The builders were Messrs C Hardy & Co of Wagga Wagga, using bricks made at the Culcairn brickworks. Most of the wood used in the building and furniture came from Canada. In recent years the roof of the church has been replaced and internal rods have been installed to strengthen the walls.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1869 - 1872||Pastor J. G. Klemke||UELCA|
|1872 - 1886||Pastor T. I Egan||UELCA|
|1886 - 1933||Pastor G. Simpfendoerfer||UELCA||1858|
|1870 -||Mr J. Urban||Lay Reader|
|1876 -||Mr A. Mickan||Lay Reader|
|1892 -||Mr W. F. Lubke||Lay Reader|
|1895 -||Mr J. T. Wenke||Lay Reader|
|1896 - 1928||Mr A. Mickan||Lay Reader|
|1918 -||Mr G. Lubke||Lay Reader|
|1918 -||Mr E. J. Grosse||Lay Reader|
|1923 - 1958||Mr J. H. Kohlhagen||Lay Reader|
|1925 - 1953||Pastor J. T.P. Stolz||UELCA|
|1937 - 1950||Mr K G. Simpfendoerfer||Lay Reader|
|1951 -||Mr L. H. Schirmer||Lay Reader|
|1952 -||Mr T. A. Grosse||Lay Reader|
|1952 -||Mr N. E. Graetz||Lay Reader|
|1953 - 1959||Pastor S. H. Held||UELCA|
|1960 - 1964||Pastor H. P.V. Renner||UELCA|
|1964 - 1969||Pastor P. E. Albers||LCA|
|1964 - 1969||Pastor T. C. Prenzler||Col Chap|
|1964 - 1969||Pastor T. T. Reuther||Col Chap|
|1964 - 1969||Pastor D. Strelan||LCA Col Chap|
|1967 -||Mr F. Gollasch||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
2. Church website.
3. Centenary of Zion Lutheran Congregation Walla Walla New South Wales 100 years history 1869 - 1969. H 284. 194 CEN