Warracknabeal, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)
Traditional Owners: Wotjobaluk people
Last Updated: 26/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The Church was established in 1858. Two brothers, Andrew Scott, of "Warracknabeal West," and Robert. whose home was on the other side of the creek, were amongst the staunchest supporters of the Church at its beginning and afterwards.
The first services were held in a cottage near to Mr Andrew Scott's home. With the growth of the congregation Mx Robert Scott's woolshed, which is still standing was put into use. From here a move was made later on to the School House; afterwards to what was known as the Victoria Hall, until in the late 80's the first Church was built.
Mrs L. M'Kinnon generously donated a block of land in a suitable position, and within a very short time the Church, which still serve: both the Methodists and ourselves and is still in good condition, was built. And that is not all. The Warracknabea' Charge was a big one covering, it was estimated about 2,500 square miles of territory from Areegra to Dimboola and from East Kewell to Lah.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1860 -||Rev George Mackie|
|1868 - 1872||Rev J. D. Robinson|
|1868 -||Rev W. G. Adam|
|1879 - 1886||Rev William Hogg|
|1886 - 1889||Rev J. J. Spalding|
|1889 - 1897||Rev W. L. Grierson|
|1897 - 1904||Rev W. Mackie|
|1904 - 1907||Rev H. T. Hull|
|1907 - 1927||Rev W. M. Naismith|
|1928 -||Rev E. M. Baird|
|1949 - 1954||Rev L. H. Rye|
|1954 -||Rev W. J. Crick|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church Warracknabeal 1858 - 1958 The First Hundred Years. LTP 285.294581 W 25 M