Warrnambool, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (20337)

Year Built: 1854

Denomination: Anglican

Address: Henna Street, Warrnambool, Victoria, 3280

Traditional Owners: Eastern Maar people

Architect: Nathaniel Billing

Last Updated: 15/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

In July 1854 a group of parishioners, worshipping in a small brick building, made the decision to establish Christ Church - a church to seat 400. This original brick building was to become the rectory.

The first clergyman, Peter Teulon Beamish, a deacon. was appointed to Warrnambool in 1850 and was ordained as a priest in 1854. He found a small brick church which accommodated about thirty five persons. The outer shell of a parsonage house was erected in 1853 and used temporarily as a place of worship. This is now part of the Rectory.

The present south nave was opened on 21st December 1856. The porch was built in 1859 and the north nave was opened on the 8th July 1861. The whole building was consecrated by Bishop Charles Perry on 19th December 1862.

The foundation stone of the present Christ Church was laid by Dr. Beamish on 26th. November, 1855 and this church of sandstone was opened at the end of 1856. The Church was built to the design of English-trained architect Nathaniel Billing, who had been a pupil of Gilbert Scott. Between 1861 and 1877 the north nave and porch were added with the tower and bells dedicated in 1882. So rapid was the growth of the township that it was soon necessary to add the northern section. This was done about 1860, by which time the population of the township had passed the 2,000 mark, and the completed church was dedicated by Bishop Perry in 1862.

The Warriors' Chapel of St. George was added in 1954.

A large cross, Celtic in design, stands near the church as a memorial to the fallen of World War 1.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1850 - 1895 Archdeacon Peter Teulon Beamish 1914
1870 - 1871 Rev A Pollard Locum
1880 - 1882 Rev W Swinburn Curate
1883 - Rev H L George Curate
1890 - 1891 Rev W Harry Edwards Curate
1890 - 1891 Rev C. M. Lowe Curate
1893 - 1895 Rev W. A. Wells Curate
1894 - 1895 Rev C L.H. Rupp Locum 1839 1917
1895 - 1899 Rev John W. Griffiths 1940
1895 - 1900 Rev Henry Edward Cooper Curate 1845 1916
1896 - 1897 Rev H. F. Barker Curate
1899 - 1905 Rev Samuel McGeorge
1902 - 1905 Rev Henry Elleker Lewin Curate 1868 1946
1905 - 1912 Rev A. E Peacock
1905 - 1906 Rev C. E Burgess Locum
1906 - 1907 Rev George Poynder 1868 1931
1906 - 1906 Rev Edward George Higgin 1861 1934
1909 - 1910 Rev R A. Giles Curate
1910 - 1916 Dean Charles James Thomas Martin 1868 1949
1912 - 1913 Rev R Hamilton
1912 - 1917 Rev Thomas Pearse Bennett
1912 - 1915 Rev Herbert Henry Pritchard 1887 1927
1913 - 1916 Rev A. S. McPherson Curate 1887 1958
1915 - Rev H A. Hawkins Curate
1917 - Rev Victor William Nelson Lines Curate 1888 1975
1917 - 1918 Rev Albert George Horner 1887 1962
1918 - Rev F. P Williams Locum
1918 - Rev W. E Wood Locum
1918 - Rev C. A. Baker Curate
1918 - 1923 Rev John Redmond
1918 - 1925 Rev William Osman Jessop
1919 - Mr J Lesley Worland Lay Reader
1919 - Rev R Fabian Locum
1919 - 1921 Lay Reader J. C Neil
1920 - Rev W Boake Curate
1923 - Rev R. F. Adams Curate
1923 - Rev J. S. Farrrer Curate
1923 - 1932 Rev Walter Guthrie Bower
1929 - 1930 Rev John Richards Gerrans Martin Asst C 1903 1977
1930 - Rev J R.G. Martin Curate
1930 - Rev H. P. Lousada Curate
1930 - Rev A. L. Rivett Curate
1932 - 1934 Rev William Eric McInver Curate 1899 1973
1932 - 1940 Rev Ernest Stanley Yeo
1935 - 1936 Rev L. S. Langdon Curate 1903 1975
1940 - 1946 Rev William Clinch
1946 - Rev Ronald Edwin Richards
1947 - 1949 Rev Keith George Madin Curate 1915 1959
1950 - Rev Gordon George Garner Asst C 1926
1950 - 1960 Rev Normans Smith Fettell 1883 1967
1955 - Rev A. T Hope Locum
1956 - 1967 Rev Anthony James Taylor 1932
1957 - 1960 Rec John Colin Haugh Asst C
1958 - Rev F Phipps Locum
1959 - 1968 Rev G A. Brown
1961 - 1963 Rev Brian Arthur Harding 1930
1965 - 1969 Rev Frederick George Phipps Asst C 2013
1967 - Rev Thomas George Green Asst C
1969 - 1970 Rev Arthur Mellsih Saveage Asst C
1974 - 1982 Rev John Raymond Warner 1935
1975 - Rev G W. Hillman Asst C 1946
1977 - Rev Michael Vine Locum
1982 - 1983 Rev Colin Haugh Locum
1983 - 1984 Rev Stephen Hill
1984 - 1985 Rev Alan George Colley Asst 1941
1986 - 1987 Rev N. B. Mitchell
1987 - 1988 Rev Roy John Stanley Asst C
1991 - 2000 Rev Denys Tonks
1991 - 1992 Rev David B. Petterson Asst C
1992 - 1993 Rev Richard Stanley Treloar Asst C 1965
1994 - Rev Terence Francis Gross Asst C 1945
1998 - Rev Denis Angelo Anthony Sotiriadid Asst C
2000 - 2002 Rev Denis Arnold Vanderwolf
2004 - 2006 Rev Peter Lord
2007 - Rev Scott Lowrey

Organ:

The first pipe organ was built in 1868 by George Fincham. The instrument was sold in 1890 to Major Helpman at the Orderly Rooms, Warrnambool and in 1891 to the Congregational Church in Warrnambool.

Source:

1. Christ Church, The English Church Warrnambool 1847 - 1987 W.J. Pinson SLT 283.94571 W 25 P
2  The Australian Anglican Directory 2000.
3. Christ Church Warrnambool LTP 283.94571 W25 WA