Warrnambool, VIC - Congregational (20747)
Year Built: 1909
Last Updated: 18/11/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church began as the result of the meeting in a Timor Street Chemist's shop of two men of our Congregational persuasion, who discussed the possibility of forming a Church of the Independent order.
They were Mr Robert Winton and Mr. Thomas Nayler, who decided to call a meeting on 10th April, 1862, (as minutes of the meeting relate). "Having considered the advisability of raising an Independent Congregational Church, and circumstances occurring at Warrnambool favouring that opinion - Mr Thomas Nayler, senior, wrote to the Reverend Mr Lewis of Brighton, Secretary to the Congregational Union of Victoria, inquiring if they had any, and what means at their disposal for furnishing a minister for Warrnambool." Mr Lewis replied that he viewed favourably their request, but warned of a shortage of ministers.
On 8th June, Reverend J L Poore, representing the Congregational Union of visited Warrnambool, conducting services that Sunday and on 9th June presided at a public meeting held in the Temperance Hall, then a small building situated in Liebig Street. The meeting resulted in the formation of a provisional committee.
Land was purchased at the corner of Liebig and lava St and the first church opened in March 1864. It remained on this site until the site was sold to the T & G Assurance in 1939 and land known as Kianga Estate was purchased on the corner of Lava and Henna Streets.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1863 - 1865||Rev William Pentland|
|1865 - 1889||Rev Uriah Coombes|
|1880 - 1882||Rev R Thwaites|
|1882 - 1888||Rev Keith Mackay|
|1888 - 1896||Rev Edward Dooddrell|
|1896 - 1900||Rev George Chapman|
|1900 - 1904||Rev A P Doran|
|1905 - 1907||Rev James Tonkins|
|1908 - 1910||Rev F. P Barrett|
|1910 - 1914||Rev F. D Trainor||1951|
|1914 - 1918||Rev Walter Albiston||1965|
|1919 - 1921||Rev H Lovell|
|1921 - 1927||Rev G King|
|1928 - 1929||Rev H Cunliffe|
|1929 - 1931||Rev J. A. Walliker||1948|
|1932 - 1938||Rev A W.A. Rowland|
|1939 - 1943||Rev H F Taylor|
|1943 - 1950||Rev Chas Watts|
|1950 - 1953||Rev T C Rice|
|1954 - 1963||Rev Frederick Thomas Ogier||1967|
|1964 - 1973||Rev J Reeves|
|1975 - 1981||Rev Harry Herbert|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
The Past of our Future, A history of the Warrnambool Uniting Church. Barry T Brown and others.