Warrnambool, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (20395)
Year Built: 1872
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 08/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The church was constructed in Decorated Gothic style in blurstone quarried from a local quarry. Construction was commenced in 1869-1872 to the design of William Wardell, although possibly supervised by a local designer and resident, Samuel Parker. The western bays of the nave and the tower and broach spire were completed in 1886-1. The erection of the Church was blessed by Bishop Gould on 21 April 1872.
The Foundation stone of the second stage was laid by Bishop Mooreon 26 September 1886.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1882 - 1886||Father M. Shanahan|
|1886 - 1915||Monsignor J O'Dowd||1915|
|1915 - 1929||Monsignor J. F Marshall|
|1929 - 1947||Monsignor P. Kennelly|
|1947 - 1959||Monsignor E. Galligan|
|1959 - 1968||Monsignor Daniel O'Connell||1977|
|1968 - 1981||Monsignor Leo Fiscalini||1995|
|1981 -||Father P. Bohan||2008|
Built in 1892 the Fincham and Hobday organ has 2012 pipes and was installed in 1893. At the time it cost 1,420 and was financed from a bequest of a parishioner James Dooley.