Watsons Bay, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Peter

Address: 331 Old South Head Road, Watsons Bay, New South Wales, 2030

Architect: Edmund Blacket

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Traditional Owners: Birrabirragal people

Last Updated: 15/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)


History and Architecture:

A simple sandstone Gothic Revival chapel designed by Edmund Blacket and completed and consecrated in 1864. Built of dressed and picked stone and plain timber shingle roof. The pitched roof diagonally bordered internally and polished as is the fine pointed timber arched trusses. The interior has small but excellent stained glass windows. In 1939 small organ loft and gallery was inserted over the entrance to support a large organ once in possession of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1913 - 1916 Rev Joseph Lintott Taylor Curate with Woollahra 1851 1925
1879 - 1881 Rev Randolph John Ross Edwards Curate with Woollahra 1853 1933
2024 - Bishp Stuart Robinson

Organ:

The organ in the west gallery is probably the oldest pipe organ in Sydney. The instrument was documented by John Stiller, OHTA Research Officer, in October 1980. Built by Robert and William Gray of London, in 1796 for the Hon Spencer Perceval who later became Chancellor of the Exchequer.
For a full descprion and photos click here.

Source:

1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.