Wesley Vale, TAS - Uniting Community (7076)
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Last Updated: 09/03/2021
History and Architecture:
The early history of the church appears to have had Wesleyan beginnings but by 1900 Union was finally approved and the local circuit seems to have been happy enough for its Wesleyan Churches to take the new name of Methodist.
In February 1857 Mr Lough arrived by boat, as the first Wesleyan minister who was sent by his church to do pioneer work in the area. In the same year Mr Sampson Andrew and his son James fought their way through thick scrub to the property they were taking up in Wesley Vale. When Mt Andrew offered the land for the building of a church between Northdown and Wesley Vale a committee was formed for the purpose.
The timber of the original bush chapel was rather poor class as it was replaced in 1870. Mr William Gadsby was the builder of this second church at a cost of £153.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 -||Mr G Lough||Reader|
|1859 -||Rev Thomas Anguin||WM|
|1865 -||Rev G T Heywood||WM|
|1866 -||Rev J Inglis||WM|
|1888 - 1891||Rev J Polkinghorne||WM|
|1894 - 1895||Rev J H Hadley||WM|
|1896 - 1898||Rev E Secomb||WM|
|1898 - 1900||Rev J L Cop||WM|
|1901 - 1902||Rev Flockhart||M|
|1907 - 1908||Rev Hodge||M|
|1908 - 1911||Rev Lawther||M|
|1911 - 1915||Rev Jefferies||M|
|1915 - 1919||Rev Wilkinson||M|
|1919 - 1921||Rev J Williams||M|
|1921 - 1924||Rev Palamountain||M|
|1924 - 1928||Rev G T Arthur||M|
|1928 - 1929||Rev Field||M|
|1929 - 1933||Rev J Abbey||M|
|1933 - 1934||Rev Knuckey||M|
|1934 - 1938||Rev C Bremer||M|
|1938 - 1942||Rev Elliott||M|
|1942 - 1948||Rev R Howie||M|
|1948 - 1953||Rev E Vercoe||M|
|1953 - 1960||Rev J Cousins||M|
|1960 - 1962||Rev I Maggs||M|
|1963 - 1965||Rev R Lawton||M|
|1966 - 1971||Rev F Foulkes||M|
|1972 - 1979||Rev W Rolley||M|
|1980 - 1984||Rev T Griffiths||U|
|1985 -||Rev B Giddings||U|
|1988 - 1989||Rev Peter Weeks||U|
|1991 - 1992||Rev Ken Rookes||U|
|1994 - 1996||Rev Angela Smith||U|
|1998 - 1999||Rev Bob Hollander||U|
|2000 - 2001||Pastor Helen Gaulke||U|
|2002 - 2004||Rev Deacon Margaret Manley||U|
|2004 -||Rev Graham Clarke||WM|
The Organ is a Roland RD-600 Digital Piano, purchased in May 1998 for $3,600. The Piano is a Collard & Collard donated by Rev Graham Clarke to the Wesley Vale Community Church in April 2015. It had been his mother’s.
1. Keith Woolls Cobb 2021.