Williamstown, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1870

Denomination: Presbyterian

Address: 87 Cecil Street, Williamstown, Victoria, 3016

Architect: Ross and Taylor

Traditional Owners: Bunurong people

Last Updated: 10/01/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)

History and Architecture:

The first services in Williamstown in connection with the Presbyterian church were conducted in 1853 in a boat shed where the present Customs House now stands.

The Church is of Gothic Revile style designed by archetect Ross and Taylor using bluestone and in the stlye of the Wesleyan church in St Kilda. The tower was completed in 1934.  The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1870 by the Moderator of the General Assembly.

There was a division in the congregation as to where the church should be built, in Cecil or Ferguson street howver the majority wanted it builtt in Cecil street.

It was decided to open the church on June 10 1860. The opening was to be celebrated by a soiree, tickets for which were to cost 2/6 each and a special train was engaged to take the visitors from Melbourne back to town that evening. 

The current church was opened in 1870.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - Rev J. Reid
1853 - Rev Allan MacVean
1858 - 1895 Rev John Clark
1895 - 1915 Rev Robert Murray
1916 - Rev Thomas Brown
2016 - Rev Daniel Dixon


The Organ was installed in 1882 after a meeting of Trusteee's found it lawful to do so. In 1918 a motor was added to the organ.


1. Presbyterian Church A Brief history of the past 70 years 1853 - 1923 285.2945 PRE