Wonthaggi, VIC - Uniting

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Corner Edgar Street & Broome Cres, Wonthaggi, Victoria, 3995

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Bunurong people

Last Updated: 14/06/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Formerly St Andrews Presbyterian Church. In 1910 it was declared as a Home Mission under Rev George Raff. By 1912 a Church building had been erected. 

In 1911 the name of the circuit changed to Kilcunda and Powlett River Circuit with churches at Wonthaggi (the manse was built in the same year), Dalyston (called Bridge Creek) and Kilcunda. In 1918 the name of the circuit became Wonthaggi and Kilcunda Circuit with the minister stationed at Wonthaggi and churches situated at Wonthaggi, Dalyston and Kilcunda.

On October 1st 1928 the North Wonthaggi Methodist Trust was formed under the leadership of the Rev A Geddes and became part of this circuit.
During the period 1897 to 1923 occasional services were conducted at Inverloch by the ministers stationed at Wonthaggi and in 1923 a congregation commenced with services in various places until January 2nd 1930 when the Inverloch Church and Sunday School were established.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1918 - 1919 Rev Eastman P
1919 - Rev D. Fairbairn P
1932 - Rev H. E. Abbott P
1946 - 1951 Rev A. H. Thomson P
1951 - 1957 Rev J. S. Anderson P
1957 - 1965 Rev S. Chant P
1965 - 1974 Rev W. Harrison P
1977 - 1978 Rev Ken Moorhead U
1978 - 1982 Rev Neville Clarke U
1983 - 1988 Rev Bill Keane U
1989 - 1994 Rev Robert Maclachlan U
1995 - 1999 Rev Michael Ellemor U
2000 - 2007 Rev Jim Murray U
2008 - Rev Raja Kulendran U
2010 - Rev R. A. Jakulendran U
2022 - Rev Wendy Elson U


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. A brief History of 100 Years of Worshipping Congregations in the Wongthaggi District.