Woolloongabba, QLD - St Luke's Anglican (50508)
Year Built: 1936
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Architect: Frank Leo Cullen
Last Updated: 31/08/2022
History and Architecture:
Prior to the construction of St Luke's, Buranda, the Catholic community in the area was part of the parish of the combined districts of Coorparoo and Ipswich Road formed in 1913 when Father J. O'Leary was appointed the first parish priest. The Church was designed by Brisbane architect Frank Leo Cullen and built in the Spanish Mission style.
A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Luke This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by Most Rev James Duhig, Archbishop of Brisbane 20th December 1936 - Rev P. Costello P.P.".
A further Foundation stone reads, " The Church of St Luke opened and blessed 11 April 1937 by Archbishop John Panico Apostolic Delegate to Australia in the presence of Archbishop James Duhig Rev Father P Costello P.P.".
A final Foundation stone reads, " The Church of St Luke solemnly dedicated on 10 September 2017 by Archbishop Mark Coleridge in the presence of His Excellency The Honourable Paul De Jersey AC Governor of Queensland Rev Monsignor Peter Meneely VG ADM".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1936 -||Rev Peter Costello|
|2017 -||Monsignor Peter Meneely|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.