Woolloongabba, QLD - St Stephen's Lutheran (50505)
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Architect: Charles Maclay
Last Updated: 30/08/2022
History and Architecture:
This Federation Gothic style church, designed by prominent architect Charles McLay, was constructed in 1896 for the local Lutheran community. The church was renovated in 1937, and again in 1996, before being badly damaged in an arson attack in 2000.
The bricks and timber from a three-storeyed hotel situated near the Stanley Street Bridge, in East Brisbane, that was due to be demolished, were purchased by the congregation for 35. The bricks were then transported by horse-drawn dray to the site.
The size of the church is 67 feet in length and 26.5 feet in width. It was designed to seat about 200 people. In total, it cost £1,000 to erect and furnish.
A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid 12th October 1895 AD by His Excellency Sir Henry Wylie Norman GCB GCMG CIE Governor of Queensland during the Pastorate of Revd Erwin Becker RBU Ps 127.V1 Charles McLay Archt ROM 3V2S".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1895 -||Pastor Erwin Becker|
In 1977, a second-hand pipe organ (built in 1926) was purchased from the Nundah Anglican Church.
1. Brisbane Heritage website.