Yarragon, VIC - St Jarlath Catholic
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Rollo Street, Yarragon, Victoria, 3823
Traditional Owners: Gunaikurnai people
Last Updated: 16/02/2022
History and Architecture:
The Church is of Gothic design, and was built in 1899. Previously Mass was celebrated in a small rented building. The blessing was performed by Fr. Coleman and Mass celebrated by Fr. Coyne. Winter's 'Mass in G' was sung by the choir and Fr. Maher of the Vincentians preached. The church was designed by Leonard Flannagan of Melbourne. The old church from Trafalgar was taken to Yarragon and rebuilt as a church hall in 1962.
The Warragul Guardian reported on 24 April 1900 the opening ceremony took place on Sunday morning last, the officiating clergymen being the Revs. Father Coyne, (Warragul), Father Coleman, (Morwell), and the Very Rev. Father Maber, C.M. (of Melbourne). The weather could hardly be considered favorable as from early morning lowering clouds in the sky threatened heavy rain, and doubtless prevented may persons from a distance such as Warragal, Moe, and Trafalgar, being present to witness the interesting ceremony.
Of a neat Gothic design, and although a wooden structure is infinitely superior to the ordinary weatherboard churches usually met with throughout the country districts. It consists of a nave 38ft. x 6 inches, x 24ft x 6 inches 15ft. 6in. high at the plates, and 24ft. 6 inches high in the centre, a sanctuary 14ft. 6 inches x 12ft. 6 inches and a sacristry 9ft. 8 inches x 12ft. 6inches and is finished with a main porch 8ft 3 inches by 4ft. 9 inches, and two novel but, very handsome open verandah side porches. The nave is lighted with nine handsome gothic pointed windows, glazed with stained and leaded quarry lights.
There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Catholic Church in Warragal LH 282.9456 BOUR