Yarram, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Traditional Owners: Gunaikurnai people
Last Updated: 27/06/2022
History and Architecture:
St Andrew Uniting Church and hall front Commercial Road. The Presbyterian congregation had used the Yarram Anglican Church for services for 25 years prior to building their own church in 1895. In October 1894 a meeting was held at the Mechanics Hall, at which it was decided to build a brick
church to seat 200 people. Funds began to be raised; a popular fundraising event was the annual Caledonian Fair held each November.
In June 1895, architect Robert Arthur Lawson received tenders for the erection of the Yarram Presbyterian Church. J. Craigen’s tender was accepted, for a church without a steeple at a cost of 500 pounds, and the Presbyterian Church was built without a spire in 1895. The spire is so similar to the church design that it seems likely that Lawson’s original design included a tower.
The base that was built in 1895 was built strong enough to carry the weight of the tower that was constructed in 1922.
There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Wellington Shire heritage study 2016.