Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Anglican


Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Address: Moray Street, , Aberdeen New South Wales, 2336

The Churches centenary was held in 2013.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: North Terrace, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. Other Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ. This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 26 Moore Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

1841 - 1846 One of the oldest buildings in South Australia, the church was originally built in 1841 on the site on which St John's, Halifax Street now stands where it was commonly known as "St John's in the Wilderness" for its remoteness from the busier northern part of Adelaide. The church was poorly built, for it was condemned and…

Read More

Adelong, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Adelong, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Neill Street, , Adelong New South Wales, 2729

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 1 Bonney Street, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Originally built as the Necropolis Receiving House as part of the Gothic Mortuary Railway Station at Rookwood, Sydney. It was designed by James Barnet in 1869. Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully…

Read More

Airds, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Airds, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: 1 Riverside Drive, , Airds New South Wales, 2560

Read More

Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: 27 Great Ocean Road, , Aireys Inlet Victoria, 3231

The Church is part of the Surfcoast Anglican Parish consisting of three parish centres at Torquay, Anglesea and Aireys Inlet. The Church was originally in Bambara Road but was destroyed in the 1983 Ash Wednesday Bush fire. The land was sold and land purchased in the main street. The Church was consecrated by Archbishop David Penman in May…

Read More

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets, , Albert Park Victoria, 3206

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.…

Read More

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 253 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

This Gothic Revivalist church was built from sandstone quarried at Yellow Rock. The architect was Mr. E Blacket of Sydney, and the builder Mr. Schadel. The Reverend’s wife, Mrs. Rowsell, laid the foundation stone in the north east corner of the building in 1875. Under the stone was placed a glass bottle time capsule containing a copy of…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 4518 Kiewa Street, , Albury New South Wales,

The Albury Anglican Parish was established in February 1850 and by 1851 the first rector Henry Elliott had arrived. By 1856 a plan by Sydney architect Edmund Blacket was accepted and work began in 1857. The first portion: nave, south porch and tower base, was opened on March 13 1859. The external walls were of local Monument Hill…

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The first church of St John's in Alexandra was built in 1868 and is now the parish ahll. The building was moved from a more southerly site in town to the present position in 1938. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937. The present church is of reinforced concrete designed by…

Read More

Alice Springs, NT - Anglican

Alice Springs, NT - Anglican

Year Built: 1982

Address: 18 Bath Street, , Alice Springs Northern Territory, 0870

Read More

Allansford, VIC St Paul's Anglican

Allansford, VIC St Paul's Anglican

Address: 20 Frank Street, , Allansford Victoria, 3277

The Church was licenced for services on the Feast of St Mark's in 1882.

Read More

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, , Allora Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Altona Meadows, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Altona Meadows, VIC - St Clement's Anglican

Address: 85 Central Avenue, , Altona Meadows Victoria, 3028

Read More

Amby, QLD - St Barnabas Anglican

Amby, QLD - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: School Street, , Amby Queensland, 4455

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church (Former)

Address: 2310 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

The Building was designed by Laird and Barlow, architects from Geelong and was opened on 9 December 1891 by Bishop Goe. The Church was closed in October 2003 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter. The Architect was Dean W Berry.

Read More

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

Prior to 1886 occasional services were held from time to time by Anglican clergy who were visiting Anglesea. Regular services were commenced in Mr Jackson's house by Archdeacon Stretch in 1886 and were later continued by readers from Modewarre. Mr G.F. Belcher donated land for a church and in 1887. John S. Jackson, a Geelong architect…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A commitment on 2 October 1891 was made to purchase as block of land at the corner of Booth and Johnston Streets for a price of £9 per square foot. A quote was accepted from Archibald Graham. The Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 however this was delayed due to building delays and a mistake by the builder who said he made a…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St Philip's Anglican

Annerley, QLD - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 115 Cornwall Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 17th October 1954 J.G. Johnson Rector."

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1-3 Church Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The site was established in 1839 and the Church commenced in 1841. The Australian (9 January 1841) noted: '...a very neat Episcopalian Church of stone, also a Roman Catholic chapel, are in the course of completion at Appin'. St Mark's was opened 25 April 1843 and dedicated by the Bishop W G Broughton. This is a small dressed sandstone…

Read More

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 54 Simpson Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 May 1957 by his Grace the Archbishop of Perth The Most Reverend R.W.H. Moline MC DD.

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: 32 View Point Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district. In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 5 St Georges Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 April 1910 by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 122 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original St Peter's Church, a timber building, was opened in 1850 near the site of the present cathedral. The foundation stone for the cathedral, designed by Canadian Architect, J. Horbury Hunt, was laid in 1873. Hunt's original concept and alternative design, both stone and in the Anglo-French style, were largely in keeping with…

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St David's Anglican

Arncliffe, NSW - St David's Anglican

Address: 54 Forest Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

The original St David's Anglican Church was in Hirst St, on part of the land granted in 1833 to convict overseer Reuben Hannam by Governor Bourke, as a reward for developing the sandstock brick much used in early colonial building. A church was built in 1879, and served for the next thirty years. In March 1906, a larger more prominent…

Read More

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 16882 Albany Highway, , Arthur River Western Australia, 6315

The Taylor family donated the land for the church and £50 towards its construction. Construction commenced in 1882 and was completed n 1884. Construction was by FE Smith and AG Horley. Made of stone with wooden floorboards and a shingle roof. The floorboards came from the sawpits near Dardaline.

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Ascot Vale, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 1 Archer Avenue, , Ascot Vale Victoria, 3032

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Ashburton, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: 334 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

On 14th January 1947, eighteen residents gathered for a meeting called by the Rev. C.H. Zercho, Vicar of St Oswald's, Glen Iris, to discuss possible plans for Anglican activities in Ashburton. The first church building was dedicated on 21 September 1947. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by His Grace The Archbishop of…

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - St Matts Anglican

Ashbury, NSW - St Matts Anglican

Address: 4 Leith Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 21993

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Mrs J.H. Goodlet 17th Oct 1926".

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - St John's Anglican

Ashfield, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 81 Alt Street, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

The foundation stone of a church was laid by Bishop Broughton in 1840, but problems with brickwork resulted in Edmund Blacket being called in and the church being re-erected under his direction. The first section was completed in 1843 and consecrated in 1845. The third Rector, the Revd. Fred Wilkinson, carved the reredos and screen to…

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Ashgrove, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: 286 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The first sketch plans for the new church were prepared by a local resident, Mr. R. Moreton Taylor, who was at that time the Principal Architect of the Commonwealth Department of Works and Housing. The church was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Hale on 15 June 1952 and was the second church to be built on the site, replacing the…

Read More