Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Anglican


Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: 86 Balwyn Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 61 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3227

Services were held monthly in the Mount Colite Hotel hall by the Vicar of Marshall before 1936, when a committee was called to collect money for a new church. Efforts continued through the Depression and in 1937 the Vicar of Marshall, the Rev D.D. Carruthers, whose parish included Barwon Heads was offered a building from Sparrovale Farm…

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Hade Avenue, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 7 Albert Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The Foundation stone to commemorate the consecration of the church took place on 4 July 1965. It was conducted by the Most Reverend P.N. W. Strong Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: Hill Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Ford & Church Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The first Rector was The Reverend Cooper Searle and a rectory was built for him in 1855. At the time the present church hall was the first church building. The Victorian Government provided two-thirds of the building costs for the current church. The Church was erected in two stages. The foundation stone for the first stage, comprising…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's Anglican

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Clarence Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

(Known firslty as Kangaroo Point) St. Mark's was formerly Clarence). In 1826 there was a small Chapel of Ease at Clarence Plains, one of the only five churches in Tasmania. In June 1852 S. Mark's Chapel, Kangaroo Point was consecrated. This building still stands and in 1932 it was restored by Toc H. to be used by scouts and guides. In…

Read More

Belmont, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Belmont, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: Corner Regent & Thompson Streets, , Belmont Victoria, 3216

In September 1890 the Reverends John Cameron wrote to the Register of the Diocese recommending the purchase of land n the Colac road and indicating the hope that a small successful church of a permanent character could be built as the place increased in population. An Architect's plan for a building estimated to cost £350 was drawn up…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Benalla, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1860

Address: 67 Arundel Street, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The earliest church services for Church of England (Anglicans) in Benalla was recorded in 1849 when Bishop Perry of Melbourne visited the settlement. The service was performed in the original court house. By 1854 an allotment of land at the corner of Bridge, Thomas and Martin Place had been set aside for a church, school and hall.* The…

Read More

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Main Street, , Bendick Murrell New South Wales, 2803

The church was opened in 1906.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 487 Napier Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1873

Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Tucker & Centre Roads, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - St Adian's Anglican

Berrigan, NSW - St Adian's Anglican

Address: Corner Jerilderie Street & Memorial Street, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712

Read More

Berwick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Berwick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

The first Anglican services held in Berwick took place in 1866 on the site of the (present) Presbyterian Church. A Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1876.

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St George North Anglican

Bexley, NSW - St George North Anglican

Address: Corner Dunmore & Albyn Streets, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

Read More

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Stephens Street, , Binalong New South Wales, 2584

One of the earliest references to the Binalong District as part of the parish of Yass is in the report of the Yass Auxiliary of the Church Society for 1869 when Archdeacon Lillingston is reported to have said, that Yass people were too apt to consider that the world lay between Bowning and the Gap. In the 1871 census Binalong is shown as…

Read More

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 1 Rundle Street, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Anglican church of St Paul the Apostle was consecrated on 2nd October 1988 by the Rt Revd O.S. Heywood M.A. Bishop of Bendigo (Foundations were blessed on 8th November 1987) This building replaces the original which was dedicated 28 July 1896 by th RT Revd H.E. Cooper M.A. Assistant…

Read More

Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Address: 107 Springfield Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 5 Queens Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used…

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: Corner Roslyn & Pearsall Avenue, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 August 1968 by the Archdeacon of Hobart I.J.B. McDonald.

Read More

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Blair Athol, SA - St Clement's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: 341 Main North Road, , Blair Athol South Australia, 5084

The Church was opened in 1858. Stained glass windows by world acclaimed South Australian glass artist, Cedar Prest.

Read More

Blckburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Blckburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Address: 17 Springfield Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

In 1883 a building had been constructed on the corner of Whitehorse road and Francom Street. This became the main centre for nglican worship but in 1889 it was moved to Box Hill and was later burnt down. With the steady growth in population in Blackburn, by the end of the 1880s it was apparent that Blackburn would need a more…

Read More

Boonah, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Boonah, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 10 Church Street, , Boonah Queensland, 4310

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Boorowa, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: 38 Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The Church was established in 1861. Plaque inside gate reads, In Memory of the Soldier Sons of the Church in the Parish, Who gave their lives in The Great War 1914-1918. Their names are inscribed on the Lamp of Remembrance, given by their Comrades.

Read More

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Boort, VIC - St Andrews Anglican

Address: 51 Lakewview Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

A Foundation stone read's, " A.M.D.C. In memory of the fallen in two world wars the fondation stone of this church of St Andrew built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Allen second Bishop of St Arnaud on 30th November 1958. C.T. Hollaway Rector, Earl Bunbury Architects, D.K. Koch Builder."

Read More

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Address: Chester Pass Road, , Borden Western Australia, 6338

Read More

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: Chester Pass Road, , Borden Western Australia, 6338

The Foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Bishop of the Diocese by Mrs Mavis Milne on 15 May 1959. Rector OA Wall??

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1971

Address: Corner Dorset Road & William Street, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

In 1923 the Boronia parish was part of the Ferntree Gully District. By 1937 the Ferntree Gully district was split into two. St Paul's remained part of this District.* In 1938 services were held in the Progress Hall by Reverend Brown. It seems they held services in a hall in Whitehorse Raod Ringwood which they later purchased for 25.00…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs. Before construction of the…

Read More

Bowning, NSW - St James Anglican

Bowning, NSW - St James Anglican

Address: 100 Bowning Road, , Bowning New South Wales, 2582

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 10 Surrey Street, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend R.W. Dann on 24 May 1970. The Architect was John Roseenthal and the Vicar was C.N. Thomas.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Whitehorse Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first church was erected in 1861 at the corner of Canterbury Road and Bedford Street at a cost of 300.00. By 1883 a new church was erected on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Frankcom Street on land donated by Mr Stewart Sergeant. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1883.* The church was to be in the Gothic style constructed…

Read More

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 103 Denham Street, , Bracken Ridge Queensland, 4017

The Church was dedicated on 7 May 1988 by the Archbishop of Brisbane Reverend John Basil Rowland Grindrod KBE.

Read More

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 45 Cessnock Road, , Branxton New South Wales, 2335

Read More